Chris HEATH: the lighter side
Entertainment in Ann Arbor
- The list of
Ann Arbor movies.
- There's lots going on in Ann Arbor! Check out the
- U of M has a great School of Music, which puts on a
wide selection of shows.
- The UMGASS
(University of Michigan Gilbert And Sullivan Society)
stage two musicals a year. G & S musicals are my personal favorite!
- The University Musical Society
put on a large selection of concerts in the fall and winter terms.
- Each summer, the UMS Choral Union sponsors the Annual Summer Sings.
This year, in the evenings of July 12, 19, and 26, the choral works
Stravinsky's "Symphony of Psalms", Bach's "Magnificat", and Dvorak's
brought up to performance standard in 2.5 hours. The
usually has the details.
Java Games and Puzzles
Here are a couple of Java programs I've had fun writing.
I hope you have fun playing with them!
- Othello (also known as Reversi)
is a popular two player board game.
Here you can play against the computer.
- Have you ever got bored while solving sliding puzzles?
Do you find that the moves become boring and routine?
Well, this sliding puzzle
is not at all like that.
(Warning: it is HARD! If you prefer a simple sliding puzzle, try
Here is a MIDI file that I made. It is of the last track ("Final Fantasy")
of the CD "Phantasmagoria".
- Constructing models of regular and semi-regular solids
(eg icosahedron, truncated icosahedron). My most complicated
one to date is the "5 cubes in a dodecahedron". At one stage, I had ideas
of making a set of 4-dimensional solids. However I am now balking at
the idea of making a 120-cell (where each cell is a dodecahedron)!
- Hiking — not much time for it these days, but when it gets
warmer here, I might venture outside a bit more.
- Choir singing. In 1995 and 1996 I belonged to the
Campus Cantoris, an almost-all-comer's choir at the
University of Auckland. Last year I was a member of the University of
Michigan Arts Chorale, which was heaps of fun! I'll join it again
as soon as I have some spare time in my schedule.
- I have left my violin back in New Zealand - an era past,
so to speak.
But when I was in Auckland, I would occasionally pull the old
violin out of the cupboard and read through some Bach solo partitas.
is definitely my favourite.
Click here to return to my Home-Page
Last changed 25 June 1999